Instantbird 0.2 alpha 1
Instantbird 0.2 is not yet finished. This release is a first preview of what we have been working on in the last few months. Don't hesitate to try it, play with it, and report bugs! If you want to follow our development effort more closely, you may also be interested in nightly builds.
Instantbird runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux platforms.
Please see the minimum system requirements needed to run Instantbird.
|Language||Version||Windows||Mac OS X||Linux|
As Instantbird is an open source project, you can freely download the source code and modify it.
Support for many languages will come in the next releases. For this release, you may want to try the experimental french language pack.
- New features:
- Protocol plugins can be loaded as extensions. See our blog post for more details.
- Localizability: it is now possible to translate Instantbird. The experimental french language pack is an example.
- Conversation window improvements:
- Message filtering. For security, undesired HTML markup is filtered out of IMs before displaying them.
- Smileys. Emoticons are now replaced by images, and there is a theme system for these sets of images.
- Message styles. Styles similar to the ones of Adium can be used with Instantbird.
- Context menu with search engines integration.
- Improved copying of messages. When selecting several messages in a conversation and copying them to the clipboard, they will be formatted in a way suitable for pasting it as a citation, for example in an email.
- Updated: Instantbird 0.2a1 is based on libpurple 2.5.8 (which fixes Yahoo! connection issues) and Mozilla 1.9.a1pre.
- Improved stability: we used the crash reports that we got from the 0.1.2 and 0.1.3.* releases and nightly builds to fix bugs that resulted in crashes.
- Under the hood:
- The preference system of libpurple has been plugged into the Mozilla preference system. Preferences of libpurple are now accessible from about:config.
- Gettext has been replaced.
- And more... read the full ChangeLog for details.
- People using a Google Talk account from Google Apps won't be able to connect it with this version of Instantbird.
- On Windows, copying several messages from a conversation and pasting will result in broken line breaks in some applications.
You can access the archives to download the older versions of Instantbird.